Monday 23 February 2009

First Blog - Studies and Qualifications

I'm quitting uni today. Not that I hate the course, although I'm very close to hating it...but because I really dont know if i'm coming or going with it all. I've sat so many times with my lecturer over the past months and I'm still no more motivated about it all. There are more than this reason as to why I'm quitting but this blog post highlights just one reason.

Gone are the days of logic and understanding! We, as students, are merely there for these establishments to make money. We are their short term investment! As much as they go on and on about equal opportunities, it soon becomes apparent that there's no such thing! They basically allow everyone the same opportunies to make more money! The more people on a course, the more money they'll make...regardless of people's abilities...because, as I found out last year, the ones who cannot do the course, get more help than those that can....why?? So they pass and therefore generate a payment! This is all well and good, and means more people gain qualifications, but what is this worth nowadays? If someone isn't able to pass on their own merits, how is it possible to award them a qualification to say that they are?

This has all proved itself this week when my mother fell sick, and after seeing four doctors, the fifth one finally diagnosed the problem! These people have been offered a job based on their qualifications and merits.

So, having seen for myself how people pass these degree courses, I am no longer so proud of how well I did at the end of my first year, and more de-motivated to carry on.

As much as I love photography and everything that goes with it; the subject; the art and the history, I don't feel that anything I've achieved or learnt so far couldn't have been achieved at home and on my own. I shall continue to use my camera and continue with my keen interest in the subject as a whole, but for now, a Honors degree is at the bottom of my priorities list.

1 comment:

  1. Well hun I have to agree, I have always thought that qualifications have been a waste of time, I mean it cracks me up that people still want you to have X amount of GCSE's regardless of what experience you have actually got!
    Any hoo I think if its something your passionate about then there is no reason why you wont excel in what your doing AND if your work is good enough then thats all people will ever care about! I mean did Leonardo Di Vinci have an A level in art?! No?! Does it make him any less of an artist?

    Your good at what you do and thats really all that matters.
    xXx

    ReplyDelete